Welsummer Club of North America

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > My Welsumers

Karen B in northern Idaho

I apparently joined this forum a while ago and then forgot about it :-)  I have an old flock of straight Barber Welsumers, roughly 8 year old  grandchicks of the original chicks I got from Laurie Adams 9-10 years ago.  I only have one roo and 8 hens, and hadn't been able to hatch any eggs for several years.  I'd had one spare roo but he went lame years ago and could not breed, gradually weakened over several years, and died last winter.  However this year I hatched 7 pullets and 6 cockerels from my flock and am thrilled about that, even though many of the chicks have crooked toes from poor incubator temps/humidity and having to help them out because they were stuck after pipping.  Fertility has been terrible... like about 10%.  However, I know the roo is very fertile with other breed, young hens; so possibly the old hens will be more fertile with a younger roo.  Luckily for me, about a month ago Laurie was able to ship me a new batch of chicks by a young but same Barber line roo (from Nina Cipriani) out of her old, ORIGINAL Barber flock hens!   Yep they are 11? 12? years old and still laying... talk about longevity!  So I will have about 25 females to go on with next year if I keep them all, and as many males as I can stand to keep :-)

--
August 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Harold

Karen B in northern Idaho at August 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I apparently joined this forum a while ago and then forgot about it :-)  I have an old flock of straight Barber Welsumers, roughly 8 year old  grandchicks of the original chicks I got from Laurie Adams 9-10 years ago.  I only have one roo and 8 hens, and hadn't been able to hatch any eggs for several years.  I'd had one spare roo but he went lame years ago and could not breed, gradually weakened over several years, and died last winter.  However this year I hatched 7 pullets and 6 cockerels from my flock and am thrilled about that, even though many of the chicks have crooked toes from poor incubator temps/humidity and having to help them out because they were stuck after pipping.  Fertility has been terrible... like about 10%.  However, I know the roo is very fertile with other breed, young hens; so possibly the old hens will be more fertile with a younger roo.  Luckily for me, about a month ago Laurie was able to ship me a new batch of chicks by a young but same Barber line roo (from Nina Cipriani) out of her old, ORIGINAL Barber flock hens!   Yep they are 11? 12? years old and still laying... talk about longevity!  So I will have about 25 females to go on with next year if I keep them all, and as many males as I can stand to keep :-)

Karen,  I also have some Barber Welsummers, and Laurie Adams suggested that I contact you.  Could you please PM me.

Blessings

Harold

April 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.