Welsummer Club of North America

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > New Member introduction!

Bonnie

:DJust thought I would start a new member spot for intros!

New to chickens and in 6 weeks knee deep in them. All brown eggers. The Wellie orders are coming along and I should be up to my ears in some fair Wellies to start up with come summer. No eggs until year-end then knee deep in snow. So hoping it's a milder winter and egg production starts!!

--

www.imaginaryalpaca.com Imaginary Alpaca Ranch and Chickens raises large fowl Welsummer chickens as one of it's breeds. Located in NW Ohio. Poultry in start-up phase 2011. My stock was sourced from good lines and is a mixed pasture flock. Breeding pens to be set up in summer 2012 with best/typiest birds to develop the VanMeter line of Welsummer.

April 29, 2011 at 3:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Robin Paceley-Geiger
Site Owner

LOL! And you will be knee deep with many of those brown eggers! I wish you all the luck for them to start laying for you. Some won't lay until they are roughly ten months to twelve months of age unless you are getting them from a hatchery.

Welcome to WCNA, Bonnie!

May 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jerry Norton

Received my first Welsummer eggs this morning, will place in incubator tomorrow & start counting.

--

Jerry

June 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Robin Paceley-Geiger
Site Owner

Jerry, Welcome and hope you will have a GOOD hatch!

June 2, 2011 at 7:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jamie

Hi!  I started my chicken adventure this spring.  We have our coop up and running, with 5 Wellies, 2 Ameraucas and 3 bantam brahmas.  My wellies are 10 weeks old now - 4 pullets and 1 cockerel.  They  grew up so fast.  I saw this site before, but waited to join until I had my chicks - and then got so busy watching the little critters that I finally got around to joining  you all.

August 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Robin Paceley-Geiger
Site Owner

Welcome Jaime!

October 5, 2011 at 7:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Janet Beall

I'm not new to chickens but I'm new to Welsummers. I love these birds. They are more intelligent and less flighty than most breeds I have dealt with. Getting them from a good breeder was a good step. I was on a long waiting list with Whitmore Farm but it was worth the wait.

January 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Robin Paceley-Geiger
Site Owner

Welcome Janet!

Glad you like them!

February 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mamachicklou

Ready for my new flock of (5- & hoping they are all hens, but one has more color-may be a cockerel?) welsummers to move outside in one week, they are just 5 weeks old. They are being introduced to their outside domain this week, and will be permanently out at six weeks -maybe with the heat lamp if necessary. I wanted to join this Welsummer Club to get general information and to continue learning all I can about this breed. Thanks for having this club!

April 2, 2012 at 1:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hswife

We are brand new to chickens.  We have 6 female and one male Welsummers coming in May.  Looking forward to learning more.    Hubby did his reseaarch and chose this breed because it is dual-purpose and has a good disposition.

--

April 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hysongdesigns

I just joined your site. I only heard of Welsummers recently when I was given four poults by a friend. Tho it's possible these are crossed with a Dorking roo. So I thought I would read up on the breed as the same person wants to disperse the small number of Welsummers that she has in order to concentrate on another breed and I have agreed to take them as soon as a new coop and pen are built. (I have Buff Orpingtons and some banties).

My friend was explaining the rooster she has is not the best type/color so my next thought is are there any breeders here in AZ that I might get another one from? And of course thought I'd better come find pictures of what they _should_ look like!

--
July 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tom

Just joined because... my lone Welsummer cockrel died today :(.  I'm fairly new to chickens having acquired a mixed bag of young birds earlier this year.  Included were 5 Welsummers and, judging from photos & the SofP, they are pretty decent ones at that.  I've been getting eggs for the last few weeks and was really looking forward to hatching a few in the Spring with bringing up another male as my highest priority.  They are just wonderful birds and I'm going to look through the resources available and see about getting some from good stock & starting over.  Am also looking forward to Spring.  Today, Dec. 22, begins the lengthening of daylight hours rather than shortening.  It's about 10 degrees right now with the remnants of a recent blizzard on the ground, but just knowing the days are getting longer makes it seem like daffodils should be popping up through the snow any day now.

December 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kirk

I was introduced to this site by Trisha Dusil who has also helped me with my chicken addiction.  We have been raising chickens for five years.  We have a mix of large fowl for eggs and we are working on two breeds, Welsummer and Iowa Blue.

Looking forward to learning & growing with the Club.

April 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.